Okay. Can you guys even handle this right now? Uhhh... Abbey is a genius and so good at what she does. I love her for sharing her secrets and yummiest recipes on the blog for you, for me, for your mom and friends. That's one thing most people can relate over- food. And what's better? Holiday food with peppermint and nutella involved. You ready for this treat?
Pink Peppermint Marshmallows with Nutella Hot Chocolate
Prep time: 10 minutes
Set time: 8 hours
Yields: 25 large marshmallows
I N G R E D I E N T S
1 tablespoon butter (to grease pan)
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1 cup cold water
1/3 cup gelatin (5 packets)
3 cups granulated sugar
2 cups light corn syrup (or 1 cup light colored honey for healthier option*)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup water
5-6 drops peppermint essential oil
6-8 drops red food coloring
Nutella Hot Chocolate:
(Yields 2 cups)
2 cups whole milk
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup Nutella
I N S T R U C T I O N S
1. Grease an 8×8 glass baking dish with the butter and then sprinkle about 1 tablespoon of powdered sugar so it is covering the dish. In a large mixing bowl, mix 1/3 cup of gelatin over 1 cup of cold water and set aside.
2. In a large saucepan, combine granulated sugar, corn syrup, salt, and water. Stir this mixture on medium-low heat until all the sugar has dissolved, and then bring it to a boil. Once it is boiling, turn it down to medium-high heat and don’t stir until it reaches 240°F. Or if you don’t have a candy thermometer, cook it until the mixture turns into a pliable, gel-like ball when placed in cold water. (That is how I always test it. You will know your mixture is getting to the correct temperature because the bubbles start getting viscous and are slow to pop.)
3. Pour the syrup gently into the gelatin and begin by mixing on low speed for about 5 minutes. Once it starts to thicken, add in your peppermint essential oil and food coloring. Turn the speed up to high until it has doubled in size and becomes thick. Pour into the baking dish and allow it to set for 8 hours or overnight.
4. Once the marshmallow has set, dust a cutting board or pan with powdered sugar and gently pull the marshmallow mold out. Cut five, 1 1/2 inch wide rows with a pizza cutter until you have 25 marshmallows. Dust all of the sticky sides in powdered sugar. And voilà! You have the most delicious treat in the world. Store in a cute jar or container and display them proudly on the counter because they are as beautiful as they are delicious.
5. In a small saucepan, heat your milk, heavy cream, vanilla and Nutella over medium heat. Stir with a whisk for about 5-10 minutes until the Nutella has completely melted.
6. Pour your piping hot chocolate into a mug, about 3/4 full. Put one or two peppermint marshmallows in, and drizzle with chocolate syrup and crushed peppermint candies for garnish if you so desire. This stuff is Christmas cheer in a cup, so savor every velvety sip and then go make a cup for someone you love!
The Butter Half socially: